Exporting Shapefiles in SimplyMap
Posted on by GRI Admin
Did you know that SimplyMap includes the ability to export Shapefile data for use in desktop mapping software (such as MapInfo or ArcGIS)? This advanced feature extends the power of SimplyMap and allows for increased data manipulation and mapping capabilities for advanced users or GIS professionals. Let’s take a look at the exporting process with an example.
To export shapefiles from any map, select Actions > Export Shapefiles.
The shapefiles export menu will appear. Follow the 5 easy steps shown and depicted below to receive your shapefiles.
1. Select a Recent Location to export.
2. Select a Geographic Unit to export. You can select from States, Counties, Cities, ZIP Codes, Census Tracts and Census Block Groups.
3. Select data variables to export by clicking the checkbox located next to them. You can select from your Favorite or Recently-used Variables.
4. Enter an email address to send the shapefile to.
5. Click Send. A .zip file will be emailed to the address you entered shortly.
That’s all there is to it! When you receive the email, click on the link to download your files.
Note: Shapefile column names can only have a maximum of 10 characters, so we include a text file with your exported shapefile with complete variable names.
Stay tuned for more SimplyMap tips and reports. If there’s anything you would like to see explained more in depth, let us know below.